Camrose & District Centennial Museum:
The Main building which serves as the Museum Office as well as the gallery was opened as part of Canada’s Centennial Celebrations in 1967. In the grounds are 12 additional heritage and replica buildings such as a replica of Ole Bakken’s log and sod hut . Bakken’s log hut was one of the first permanent settlements along Stony Creek, and he became one of the area’s leading citizens. Other buildings include a pioneer log house built in 1898; St. Dunstan’s Church built in 1908 complete with artifact contents original to the building; Likeness School – a one room school house built in the spring of 1906 for the grand sum of $696.00 (including labor and supplies); a Fire Hall; Camrose Canadian Building; Garage; RCMP Centennial Machine Shed; a Blacksmith Shop; the Old Timer’s Hut; Mona Sparling Building; and the Lugs ‘n’ Cleats Building.
Check out our special events – Celebrate Canada Day and Visit a Viking Village on July 1, Celebrate Everything Cowboy as we welcome the Big Valley Jamboree to Camrose; visit our 1906 one room school where Miss Penny Nickel will test your penmanship on a slate. Blacksmiths are often at work during the summer months and historical characters wander the site. Museum open Wednesday to Sunday 10 am to 5 pm May to September. Further details call 780-672-3298
The Camrose & District Centennial Museum is open Tuesday-Saturday 10am-5pm (closed Sunday & Monday), Visit soon and often! 4522 53 Street, across from St, Mary’s Hospital.
Camrose Heritage Railway Station & Park:
Wander through the inside of the 1911 3rd-Class station, read the interpretive messages, tap out a Morse code message on the telegraph key and try the archival agent’s phone. Delicious homemade desserts available Saturdays through July and August in the Station Tea Room. The King George Room is a perfect backdrop for a booked authentic Victorian Tea. On the park grounds – walk through the bunk house with its communication and other displays, and the Sparling Centre with its historical pictures of Camrose.
Spend time in the Gardens: a Historical Station Garden that was planted to emulate the gardens that station masters used to grow to try and entice settlers to get off the train and homestead in the area. Entry Garden, Hummingbird Garden, Lupin Garden, West Cottage Garden – all gardens have flowers blooming throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons. The Morgan Garden Railway features model buildings from Camrose, Meeting Creek, and Big Valley from the early Canadian Northern Railway line. The newest one, the Victory Garden, acknowledges the contribution made by citizen of Camrose during World Wars I and II, when communities became self sufficient as commercial production was sent overseas to feed soldiers and allies. All gardens feature companion planting, researched organic practices that result in healthy plants without the use of herbicides and pesticides. Adopt a garden and learn hands-on.
The Camrose Heritage Railway Station and Park offer several classes and events during the year. They are open May 14, to August 28 , 2016 Tuesdays through Saturdays 10 am to 5 pm. Further details : www.canadiannorthern.ca
Camrose Royal Canadian Legion:
In 1917 a branch of the Great War Veterans Association was formed in Edmonton and few of the Camrose returneees joined this branch following their return from World War I. Other returnees in Camrose met together and soon it was on a monthly basis initially in the hall above the town office in Camrose. In 1928, the name was changed to the British Empire Service League and a charter was forwarded to the Camrose branch. Another name change took place in 1967 when the title British Empire Service League was dropped and was replaced by the name currently used, the Royal Canadian Legion. The Legion purchased the Bowling Alley on Highway 13 ( 48 Ave) and after significant renovations of the building remained their premises until 2014 , when they moved their location to 50th Ave by the scenic golf course.
The main Cenotaph used for big ceremonies, is re-located just south of the Camrose & District Centennial Museum along 53 St., as well a smaller Cenotaph is located by the flagpole in front of the new Legion on 50th Ave.
The large Cenotaph, stands about 18 feet high, and contains the names of local people who died in service to Canada. The dedication of the large Cenotaph occurred on July 1, 2015.
The small Cenotaph is approximately 4 by 3 feet by 6 inches, and made of black polished granite. The Legion can be contacted by telephone: 780-672-3325